lowwwcarbon is a showcase of the best low-carbon, sustainably built websites on the internet. For any submitted websites we review them to check whether they meet our standards of a sustainable, low-carbon website, based on our review criteria.
This isn’t a showcase of websites that just look beautiful, but for websites that show a commitment to lowering their carbon emissions through design and development techniques.
Our review process is quite simple at this early stage of lowwwcarbon.
- We receive a website submission through our submission form
- We test the submitted website with Beacon to check how heavy it is and to give an estimate on how much carbon it produces per page view
- We check that the website is being hosted using green energy through The Green Web Foundation
- If a website passes the criteria, we email to let the submitter know their website will be featured
We feature websites that show a real commitment to being low-carbon. For a website to be featured it must:
- Emit 0.5g or less C02 per page view or reach the ‘great’ attribute for carbon emissions as tested on Beacon
- Be powered by proven green energy through The Green Web Foundation
- Not promote carbon-heavy businesses or related businesses, such as within the Oil, Coal, Gas or Aviation industries etc
We reserve the right to refuse a website if it does not adhere to these criteria. With respect, we ask that you do not submit more than 5 websites a day.
Amendments to the criteria
As the lowwwcarbon platform grows, we may tweak how we test and review websites to be featured. When we do, we shall update this page with the relevant information to update visitors looking to submit their sites for review.