lowwwcarbon is a showcase of the best low-carbon, sustainably built websites on the internet. For any submitted websites we review them to check whether they meet our standards of a sustainable, low-carbon website, based on our review criteria.
This isn’t a showcase of websites that just look beautiful, but for websites that show a commitment to lowering their carbon emissions through design and development techniques.
Our review process is quite simple at this early stage of lowwwcarbon.
- We receive a website submission through our submission form
- We test the submitted website with Beacon to check how heavy it is and to give an estimate on how much carbon it produces per page view
- We check that the website is being hosted using green energy through The Green Web Foundation
- If a website passes the criteria, we email to let the submitter know their website will be featured
We feature websites that show a real commitment to being low-carbon. For a website to be featured it must:
- Emit 0.5g or less CO2 per page view and reach a grade of C or higher*
- Be powered by proven green/renewable energy
- Not promote or be funded by carbon-heavy businesses, such as within the Oil, Coal, Gas or Aviation industries etc
While not official criteria, we do not generally feature websites that have been put together using ‘off-the-shelf’ themes or page builder plugins for platforms such as WordPress. On the whole, we feature custom built sites.
We reserve the right to refuse any website if it does not adhere to these criteria. With respect, we ask that you do not submit more than 5 websites a day.
*The grades have been created by the team at Sustainable Web Design to give a more understandable rating for the impact of our digital products.
Amendments to the criteria
As the lowwwcarbon platform grows, we may tweak how we test and review websites to be featured. When we do, we shall update this page with the relevant information to update visitors looking to submit their sites for review.